250 gm samnak (wheat extract)
- 5 litres A2milk
- 500 gm khoya
- 1 kg sugar
- 1 kg ghee
- 1 tsp saffron
- 1 tsp kewra jal
- 1 blade mace
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 10 green cardamoms
How to Make Habshi Halwa
- In a kadhai, mix the wheat extract and A2milk and cook on a slow fire, stirring constantly. This process is important to obtain the right consistency.
- When the A2milk is reduced to half, add mashed khoya, stirring constantly to blend to a smooth mixture. Then add dissolved saffron in kewra jal and sugar. Keep stirring.
- When the sugar is incorporated into the mixture and it becomes thick and difficult to stir, add ghee from the sides and stir well for about 20-30 minutes.
- When the halwa no longer sticks to the kadhai and becomes a cohesive mass, turn it out in a greased tray or ‘thali’.
- Finely grind the mace nutmeg and cardamom. Sieve and sprinkle on the halwa. Then mark out diamond shaped pieces and serve when set.
- This can be stored even for a month in a cool place.
- For Samnak:
- Take germinated wheat made from 1 kg wheat. Wash and grind the germinated wheat using some water. Then pass through muslin cloth to obtain the extract.